Do you like your sweet potatoes savory or lightly sweetened and spiced? These sweet potatoes are baked then seasoned with salt and paprika or cinnamon and sugar. See more topping ideas below the recipe instructions.
Try to find sweet potatoes that are uniform in size so they will bake evenly. The skin should be firm and smooth with no wrinkles. Store sweet potatoes in a cool, dark place.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (uniform in size)
- 2 cups of vegetable oil (or olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons butter (or to taste)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Optional: paprika or cinnamon sugar*
- Heat the oven to 425 F (220 C/Gas 7).
- Place a sheet of foil on the oven rack or line a baking pan with foil.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes thoroughly and rub vegetable oil all over each potato. Prick in several places with a fork.
- Arrange the potatoes on the foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes, or until they are fork-tender.
- Cut a 1 1/2-inch "X" in the center of each baked sweet potato. Hold a potato with pot holder and press upwards until filling "bursts" up through the cuts. Alternatively, cut the baked sweet potatoes in half lengthwise to serve.
- Top with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper or paprika or a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.
*Cinnamon Sugar - In a small bowl combine 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar with 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Blend well.
Tips and Variations
- Top the finished sweet potatoes with shredded Swiss cheese and cooked crumbled bacon. Put them on a foil-lined baking sheet and place them under the broiler just until the cheese has melted.
- Sprinkle the sweet potatoes with cinnamon sugar and put a few miniature marshmallows on each one. Place them on a foil-lined baking sheet and place them under the broiler for a few minutes to brown the marshmallows.
- Cinnamon Maple or Honey Sweet Potatoes - After sprinkling each buttered sweet potato lightly with cinnamon sugar, drizzle with a teaspoon or two of maple syrup or honey.
You Might Also Like