These cornbread muffins get their great texture from the whole wheat flour and stone ground cornmeal. The cornbread can also be baked in a skillet. If you have some bacon drippings, add
These savory cornbread muffins are an excellent bread to serve with baked beans, chili, Southern greens, or stew.
Southerners generally like their cornbread and cornbread muffins unsweetened. If you like your cornbread sweet, add 2 to 4 tablespoons of granulated sugar to the batter or add a few tablespoons of honey.
"I added about 1 1/4 cups corn, and used the honey. They were perfectly moist and hearty. My husband and I each ate three of them with our chili, and wished we could fit more!" — K.Y.
- 1 3/4 cups cornmeal (stone ground)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
Grease and flour 12 to 15 muffin cups. Heat oven to 425 F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, whole wheat flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Stir with a spoon or whisk to blend thoroughly.
In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and the cooled melted butter.
Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry mixture and stir until all ingredients are moistened.
Fill the prepared muffin cups about 3/4 full.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the muffins are browned and firm to a light touch.
Tips and Variations
- To bake in a skillet: Add 1 tablespoon of shortening, oil, or bacon drippings to a cast iron skillet. Place it in the oven to heat while you make the batter (this will help give the cornbread a crunchy crust). Pour the batter into the hot skillet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Bake in a greased 9-inch square pan for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add 1 to 1 1/2 cups of corn kernels to the batter.
- Add 1 to 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese to the batter along with 1 cup of whole kernel corn and some chopped jalapeno peppers, if desired.
- Add 1/4 cup of crumbled cooked bacon to the batter.
- For additional texture, add 1/2 cup of coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans to the batter.
- Add 1 cup of pepper jack cheese to the batter.