Use delicious sweet onions, such as Vidalias, in this easy recipe for whole grilled onions. The only other ingredients you need are salt and pepper and butter.
Grilling caramelizes vegetables bringing out even more sweetness turning onions into a succulent side dish for any barbecued food.
- 4 large sweet onions
- Dash salt
- Dash pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Remove any dry skin and stem from onions.
- Working from the top and using a sharp knife or mini melon baller or apple corer, core the onions, leaving a cavity about 1 inch across and almost through to the bottom of the onion without piercing it. Use the cored-out onion for another purpose.
- Salt and pepper the onion cavities, then fill with 1 tablespoon butter per onion. Sprinkle onions all over with salt and pepper. Wrap onions in foil, gathering at the top and twisting to seal.
- Cook in a closed grill for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours over medium indirect coals. Untwist top of foil and spread open 10 minutes before serving and leave on the grill for more smoked flavor.
- Remove to a serving platter. Let your guests remove the foil on their plate. Whole grilled onions are a great accompaniment for just about any grilled foods, especially steaks.
- Omit the salt and pepper and insert 1 beef bouillon cube and a peeled garlic clove in the center of each cored-out onion. Press in enough Italian or other cheese of choice so it fills the top. Wrap in foil and grill as directed above.
- Instead of coring the onion, just cut a deep "X" in the top, drizzle with a little olive oil, and sprinkle on bouillon granules that will complement the protein being served. Wrap in foil and grill. Once the onions are off the grill, open them and sprinkle with a little grated cheese of choice or pass it at the table.
More Vidalia Onion Recipes
- Baked Onions with Parmesan Cheese Recipe: Here's another onion recipe wrapped in foil. This time, though, the onions are cut into eighths without cutting all the way through and baked instead of being grilled.
- Scalloped Onion Casserole Recipe: Use sweet Vidalia onions in this side dish which is a perfect go-with for a big dinner or holiday meal. It will appeal to the onion lovers at your table.
- Sweet Onion Casserole Recipe: Sautéed Vidalia onions are placed in a cracker-crumb crust, topped with an egg custard and grated cheese and baked until the onions have virtually melted.