With all of the rudeness out there, people often wonder why it's even necessary to learn proper manners. After all, if you're the only polite person in the room, you might get taken advantage of. But that's not the case if you know when and how to stand your ground without creating drama.
Imagine how insane the world would be if no one had etiquette guidelines to follow. We'd be living among a huge mess of frustrated, selfish, angry people taking what they wanted without regard to others, grossing people out by chewing with their mouths open, toppling pedestal tables by leaning on their elbows during dinner, and the dreaded folks who cut in line. We'd likely see quite a few more fights. Contrary to what you see on TV and in some real-life situations, good manners are not out of style.
From the moment you wake up to when you go to bed, you need to practice proper social etiquette. This includes how to dress, manners while dining, and showing respect for friends.
Social manners tips:
- List of Social Etiquette Guidelines - Comprehensive list of social behavior tips.
- Be on Time - Respect other people's time and show up when you say you will.
- 8 Most Common Etiquette Mistakes - Don't do any of these things if you want respect from other people.
- Etiquette Tips for Women - Be a strong woman and act like a lady.
- Etiquette Tips for Men - Yes, real men can have good manners.
- Business Relationship Etiquette - Behave in an appropriate manner involving all business relationships.
- 10 Quick Etiquette Tips for Getting Ahead in Business - Impress others by following the guidelines for good manners at the office.
- Interview Etiquette - Get the job of your dreams by behaving properly during the interview.
- 7 Handshake Tips - One way to make a good first impression is to do a proper handshake.
- After a Job Loss - Remain professional at all times, even after you lose your job. It can make the difference between remaining unemployed or finding another position.
- Cell Phone Etiquette - Be respectful by following proper cell phone etiquette.
- Proper Way to Complain - You are much more likely to get results if you follow proper etiquette when making complaints.
- Avoid Gossip - Talking trash about people will backfire later, and you'll earn a reputation that will have people walking a wide berth around you.
- How to Deal with a Bad Neighbor - One bad neighbor can make your life miserable, but there are some things you can do that might improve the relationship.
When something wonderful happens in your life, go ahead and party hearty. But don't forget your manners. Whether you're celebrating a birthday, wedding, or promotion, there are etiquette guidelines to enhance the experience.
Celebrate with good manners:
- Birthday Party Guest - Your child will be invited to more parties if he or she knows how to behave.
- Children's Birthday Party Host - A party is always more fun with a gracious host.
- Wedding FAQs - Lists of tips for brides, grooms, wedding parties, and guests.
- RSVP Etiquette - Always respond to an invitation so the host can plan properly.
- 10 Ways to Not Get an Invitation - If you want to go to the best parties, don't do any of these things.
- Uninvited Guests - If possible, be gracious to those who show up uninvited.
The people you care most about - your family - deserve to be treated with respect as much as anyone else. Use good manners with them, and you are much more likely to have a happy home life. The bonus is that your children will see proper etiquette in action, and you won't have to lecture as long about minding their manners.
Family manners guidelines:
- Teach Your Children Manners - Give your children an advantage in life by letting them know what is expected of them.
- Teen Etiquette - Give teens a head start by staying consistent with expectations of good manners.
- Teach Children Good Sportsmanship - Talk to your kids about the importance of being a good sport.
- Breastfeeding Etiquette - Follow these guidelines to prevent making others uncomfortable while doing what's best for you and your baby.
- Get Along with Your Child's Teacher - You and the teacher should be on the same page with common goals and objectives for your kids.
We all communicate almost everyday. Whether we talk to people in an office or send emails to people we never see, following proper etiquette during any type of communication is essential to a satisfying life.
Communication manners tips:
- How to Start a Conversation - Sometimes all you need is an opening to get a great conversation started.
- How to Answer Rude Questions - Not everyone knows proper etiquette, so you are likely to encounter rude people every now and then. Be ready with some quick answers to their inappropriate questions.
- 10 Email Communication Etiquette Tips - Take the time to follow these tips for the most effective use of email.
- How to Put Others at Ease - Learn to attract other people by being comfortable to be around.
- Social Media and Your Kids - Be careful what you post about your children in social media.
Don't forget to take your manners with you when you leave the house. As you are out and about on a routine day or while on vacation, you'll have a much more pleasant time if you follow common etiquette guidelines. You may even find that other people are much more willing to cooperate when you show respect through good manners.
Etiquette tips to follow while out and about:
- 8 Rules to Follow During Air Travel - Have the most pleasant flying experience possible.
- Show Respect for the Disabled - Lend a helping hand to those who need one.
- Shopping Mall Etiquette - Mind your manners, even while shopping.
- Grocery Store Etiquette - Use proper etiquette when shopping for food.
- Spectator Sports Etiquette - Cheer for your favorite team, but remember that good sportsmanship is essential from everyone, including fans.
- Public Transportation Etiquette - Make your ride more enjoyable by using your best manners.
- Neighborhood Etiquette - Be a good neighbor and mind your manners.