Invite kids to shed their coats, don their swimsuits, and dive right into some summer-style fun at a wintertime pool party. In warm climates, you might enjoy outdoor pools, but when forecasts are peppered with phrases like “wind chill” and “below zero,” there's no better time to warm up in an indoor heated pool. Go ahead and cure their cabin fever with a party that doesn’t care what the calendar, the thermometer, or the weatherman says.
01 of 05
Find the Best Location
The first essential for any pool party is locating the pool itself. Unless you’re fortunate enough to have an indoor pool in your home, you’ll need to find the next best option. Search out indoor pools for your party at hotels, fitness centers, and community or recreation centers. If your schedule is flexible, you may be able to arrange for a private rental or a reduced rate during hours when the venue usually experiences a lull in pool use.
Certain pool rules may limit or prohibit food, decorations, and activities, so ask employees about the regulations before booking.
02 of 05
Create a Cute Themed Invitation
Whether you're sending paper or digital invitations to invite guests to your party, play on the theme of summer fun in wintertime? Ideas include:
- A snowman cut out of tropical-hue cardstock and decorated with a bathing suit and sunglasses
- Store-bought pool party invitations that you rubber-stamp with snowflakes or decorate with snowflake stickers
- Photos of your children dressed in their swimsuits in front of a snowy backdrop
Along with the time and location information, add instructions for guests to bring their bathing suits, water shoes, goggles, and towels (if none are supplied by the facility). You may also want to ask them to bring a hair dryer.
03 of 05
Use Whimsical Decorations
If the indoor pool is adjacent to windows, any snow outside creates a backdrop that is not only beautiful but also reminds your guests of how wonderful it is to be warm and wet inside the pool. However, you can make things indoor feel more festive provided you're allowed to decorate the pool area. A combination of snow-themed and tropical decorations can help you to emphasize this summer-in-winter concept. Consider these ideas:
- Hang snowflake ornaments from inflatable palm trees.
- Drape lounge chairs with snowflake-patterned beach towels.
- Place inflatable winter animals, such as penguins or polar bears, so they're floating on rafts.
04 of 05
Play Summer Games in the Winter
Kids will enjoy any pool party game that you come up with. However, you could also continue the fun with a selection of pool party games that play on the theme of summer fun in wintertime. For example:
Continue to 5 of 5 below.
- Play volleyball, but use white beach balls and call it “snowball volley.”
- Turn “Marco Polo” into “Marco North Pole.”
- Place rubber penguins in toy boats and have kids push them from one end of the pool to another, relay-race style.
- Use white water balloons to have a snowball fight.
05 of 05
Hand out Themed Favors
When it’s time to head home, send the guests with a party favor to remind them of their break from winter (it might just hold them over until the real days of summer). Favor ideas include:
- Beach towels that are rolled and tied with a snowflake patterned ribbon
- Plush polar bears wearing sunglasses
- A beach pail filled with winter accessories, such as earmuffs and mittens
- A summer beverage tumbler paired with a package of hot cocoa and marshmallows.