The Woo Woo is a fun cocktail on many levels. First of all, every time you make or order it, you get to say "Woo Woo"! Second, it's fruity mix is a tasty indulgence that's hard to resist. And, finally, it's an easy recipe to mix up and can be served any way you like it.
The drink itself is actually very simple (another reason to get on the Woo Woo train): vodka, peach schnapps and cranberry. Think of it as a mix between the popular Cosmopolitan and the fruity Hairy Navel. The simplicity is the beauty of the Woo Woo because, as you will see, you can easily transform or enhance the three-ingredient drink to fit your mood or the occasion.
It's common for the Woo Woo to be served either 'up' as a fancy cocktail or on the rocks. Yet, it doesn't stop there because you can also make it into a fruity punch or a fun shot for parties. No matter how you take it, the Woo Woo is a popular drink that everyone (including bartenders) should know.
- Place the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice cubes.
- Shake well.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass or into a highball filled with fresh ice.
- Garnish with a lime wedge.
The Woo Woo as a Party Punch or Shooter
Invite the Woo Woo to any party you're hosting and serve it to fit your needs. The cocktail and highball are easy enough to mix up as needed, or you can serve it up as a punch or shooter.
- The Woo Woo as a Party Punch - Increase the ingredients proportionally to fill a pitcher or punch bowl. For instance, use full 750ml bottles of vodka and peach schnapps with about 50 ounces of cranberry juice. This will produce about 25 4-ounce drinks that can be served with or without ice.
- The Woo Woo as a Party Shot - When transforming this drink into a shooter, we typically cut the cranberry juice in half so there's a little bit more alcohol. That makes the recipe even simpler because you will simply pour equal parts (about 1/2-ounce each) of the three ingredients. Shake it to ensure a good mix.
3 Ways to Enhance the Woo Woo
Once you learn to love the Woo Woo for the wacky, fun cocktail that it is, you will soon find that it's the perfect base for experimentation. Add a little this or bring in a little of that and you have a fun, new drink to enjoy.
- Add a touch of sparkle. There are times when the Woo Woo can be too sweet and a little sparkle will quickly liven it up and make it more refreshing. Top it with seltzer, club soda or ginger ale or fancy it up a bit with a sparkling wine. This is a fabulous idea when making it as a punch because it dilutes it so your guests won't get wasted off two glasses
- Start with flavored vodka. Whether you make your own or buy it at the liquor store, the Woo Woo is a perfect candidate for almost any flavored vodka you want to throw into it. Try strawberry or vanilla, get a little wild with cucumber or watermelon, or use one of those cake vodkas you can't get enough of.
- Build on the fruits. Do you have some leftover fruit in the fridge that needs to be used up? Toss it into the Woo Woo! From strawberries to watermelon, you really cannot go wrong with adding more fruit to this drink. For whole or cut fruit, muddle it in the shaker before adding the other ingredients. You can also add fruit liqueurs, syrups or juices.
How Strong is the Woo Woo Cocktail?
The Woo Woo is a relatively mild cocktail, not much stronger than the average glass of wine. That's what makes it so appealing, but it also makes it easy to have one too many and that can lead to some funny, embarrassing and (hopefully not) troubling party moments.
When made with Peachtree (48-proof) and an 80-proof vodka, this Woo Woo recipe has an alcohol content of about 14% ABV (28 proof). If we cut the cranberry to make a 2-ounce shooter, that doubles to a whopping 32% ABV (64 proof).