This squash pie is a dessert pie made with cooked summer squash and other ingredients. The pie is made with cooked summer squash such as yellow crookneck. It's a sweet pie with an unexpected main ingredient.
- 5 medium summer squash, sliced
- 1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon or vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- dash of salt
- baked pie shell, 9-inch
- Steam squash or cook in a little boiling salted water until tender.
- Drain the squash and mash.
- Combine butter, sugar, and lemon extract; stir in flour, beaten eggs, and mashed squash.
- Pour squash mixture into baked pie shell; bake at 375° for 25 minutes, or until firm.
- "This pie is perfect when you have lots of squash on hand that you don't know what to do with. The lemon is nice too. A very southern dish! I made it with homemade all-butter pie crust and it is good. Also, you can make mini pies with a cupcake pan that would be cute for a party." Mere
You Might Also Like