Summer is here and with it came hot temperatures and our desire to eat frozen treats non-stop. We're not knocking ice cream and all the other sugary frozen concoctions but we also need something a little lighter so that we can eat it guilt free for the next 3 months or so and also be able to fit into our bathing suits. Not to mention that we want the kids to have healthy snacks they still love and crave. And, of course, we want it sweet and creamy!
Greek yogurt comes to the rescue here because it freezes beautifully to make a chilled and creamy popsicle. Choose a plain yogurt so you can customize the sweetness and flavor. Honey and yogurt have long been a great match at breakfast but they pair up just as well in a frozen treat. Add the pistachios for taste and a bit of texture and don't forget a pinch of salt to bring out all the flavors.
You can use plastic bar molds if you like that shape. Or, if you don't have silicone popsicle molds, small paper cups work just as well. Follow the same steps in the recipe and just peel away the paper when ready to serve.
- 2 Cups plain, full fat, Greek style yogurt
- 1/4 Cup honey
- 1/4 Cup shelled pistachios
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- Add to shelled pistachios to a food processor and pulse until the nuts are in tiny pieces, almost dust, but not pureed.
- Combine the Greek style yogurt with the honey and salt and mix thoroughly. Fold in the ground up pistachios.
- Pour the mixture into a silicone popsicle mold (recipe will fill a 10 pop mold) and place in the freezer for about one hour. Remove from the freezer, insert popsicle sticks into the center of each mold and return to the freezer for at least another 7 hours or overnight.
- To remove the popsicles from the mold, dip the mold into hot water until the pops loosen. You can also run hot water over the sides of the mold but be careful not to get any water over the top.