This simple casserole is a great way to take advantage of your prolific zucchini and summer squash.
The squash is sliced and then baked to perfection with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. This would be a delicious side dish to serve with grilled meat or chicken, or serve it with a fish or seafood meal.
- 3 small zucchini, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 3 small summer squash, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut in small pieces
- 4 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 350°. Butter a 2- to 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Wash the squash, trim ends, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Put squash pieces in a prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the squash with the 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper.
- Combine the chicken broth with the garlic and pour over the squash.
- Dot the casserole with butter then sprinkle with the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes longer, until the topping is browned and the squash is tender.
You Might Also Like
20 of Our Best Zucchini Recipes (Muffins, Breads, Casseroles, and More)