Panko bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese make these baked zucchini fries crispy and delicious. In this recipe, you can use egg whites or egg substitute to keep the fat and calories to a minimum. These fries are a great alternative to potatoes with sandwiches, burgers, or grilled steaks.
- 2 small to medium zucchini, about 1 pound
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, 2 egg whites, or equivalent egg substitute, lightly beaten
- Heat oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Slice the zucchini into strips about 4 inches in length and 1/2-inch thick. Put the strips in a bowl and toss with the flour.
- In a food processor, pulse the panko crumbs with the Parmesan and seasonings until fine.
- Put the egg substitute or eggs in a bowl.
- Dip the floured zucchini strips, a few at a time, in the egg mixture. Toss with the crumb mixture. Arrange on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until nicely browned. Serve these fries with ketchup, salsa, or a spicy sriracha mayonnaise mixture.
More Zucchini Recipes
Fried Zucchini Coins
These zucchini coins are battered and deep fried to crispy perfection. The coins are seasoned with a little basil and Parmesan cheese. Serve with the included dip or your own favorite concoction.
Zucchini and Summer Squash Casserole
This is a light and simple seasoned casserole baked with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs.
These well seasoned little pancakes are made with fresh zucchini and Parmesan cheese, along with basil for extra flavor. Serve as a side dish with a little dollop of sour cream or fresh salsa.