This is a dense, moist, and flavorful cake, and it's absolutely delicious with a simple glaze. Or finish the cake with a dusting of powdered sugar. See the tips below the recipe for an easy vanilla glaze or cream cheese glaze. It's a nice change of pace from zucchini bread or muffins.
If you have loads of zucchini, shred it and freeze it in 1 or 2-cup portions. You can have zucchini breads and cakes all year round.
Wrap and freeze leftover slices of cake for 3 to 4 months.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (11 1/4 ounces)
- 1 cup rolled oats (quick cooking)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 ounces butter (1 1/2 sticks, softened)
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar (packed, light)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- Heat oven to 325 F.
- Generously grease and flour a 10- to 12-cup bundt cake pan. Get all the nooks and crannies.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla and blend well.
- Slowly beat in the dry ingredients, alternating with the buttermilk and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Stir in shredded zucchini and nuts.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared Bundt cake pan.
- Bake the cake for 65 to 75 minutes, or until golden brown and a cake tester or toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack for 10 minutes; invert onto a serving plate to cool completely.
- Drizzle a glaze over the cake (see below) or dust with powdered sugar.
Simple Vanilla Glaze - Combine 2 cups of sifted powdered sugar with 4 tablespoons of melted butter and 2 tablespoons of milk or hot water. Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla. Beat until smooth, adding more milk or water, as needed. Drizzle over the cooled zucchini cake.
Cream Cheese Glaze - Beat 4 ounces of cream cheese with 2 tablespoons of softened butter. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Beat in 2 tablespoons of milk, water, or juice and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Add more milk, water, or juice until a good drizzling consistency is reached.